Dolphin and whale watching tour is an extra unique trip you can do in Tenerife. There’s something absolutely special about seeing dolphins and whales at play in their natural environment. With resident populations of bottlenose dolphins, pilot whales and short-finned pilot whales, the chances of spotting these mammals are almost guaranteed. We had a hard time deciding on the boat tour that would both respect the mammals’ habitat, without harassing them, and the increased chances of spotting them. We made a short list of options and hand picked a couple to warmly recommend for their quality of service, the guarantee of spotting whales and/or dolphins and the wonderful time we spent on the boat. There are several options of tours from two to five hours long. Our recommendation is for a two-to-three-hour option, which includes a meal of traditional snacks on board and stops at a bay for a quick dip. Our tour of choice for this adventure is Monte Cristo Catamaran. What’s great about this tour:
• a more personal experience: small group of people, up to 12, not crowded, plenty of room for everyone to enjoy best sights from anywhere on the deck;
• comfortable, stylish, clean boat and smooth ride;
• excellent crew: knowledgeable, attentive, outgoing, fluent in English and Spanish, considerate of the guests and respectful of the environment;
• length of tour: we believe a 3 hours tour is just the right amount of time for such a trip; you have plenty of time to be at sea, stop to spot the whales and/or dolphins, take a swim or do some snorkeling, enjoy some tapas and a glass of cava;
• great service: free transfer service (Costa Adeje, Las Americas & Los Cristianos); snacks, tapas, drinks (soft drinks, beer and cava);
• children friendly: they can find some snorkeling equipment and floaters on board;
• several tours per day and at sunset;
• best value for money.
It’s quite important to know whether you suffer from seasickness. We’ve done boat tours before, on the sea, rivers or lakes, but somehow the rocking motion of the boat on the ocean feels a bit different. You can take some pills before or ask the crew when you get on board. We very much appreciated on this tour the warmly welcoming and hosting of the crew, great English, their respectful approach towards the animals and their environment, they stopped the engines as we approached a family of whales, asked us to be as quiet as possible and maintained a fair distance for us to observe them very well, while not disturbing their routine. The tour is exactly as they promise it to be, with all items included, and the guarantee of whale spotting. There are big chances of seeing some dolphins blowing bubbles, playing, surfing, floating, but they are more active and you can’t know for sure where they may make an appearance.
The ticket for the group tour is €65 per adult and €35 for children1 to 11 years old. You can choose from one of the three daily tours, 09:15 am, 12:15 pm or 3:15 pm, or go for a romantic experience with the sunset tour from 6.15 pm to 9.15 pm. For a party of maximum 12, you can have the boat all to yourself for €700 and enjoy a 3 hours exclusive sunset private charter, from 6.30 pm to 9.30 pm. The champagne, wine, drinks, food and music are included, just get your mojo working and bring your dance moves on board.
For this experience, you need both sunscreen and some warmer clothing. Because of the speed of the boat, the temperature may feel cooler; while stopped, the sun is rather burning.
Review for Whale and Dolphin Watching – Sailing Catamaran
Seeing these mammals so close is a privilege. Big kudos for the team, they know how to throw a party on the boat 🙂
Rate Whale and Dolphin Watching – Sailing Catamaran and Write a Review